50 minutes into the movie I stopped watching because I wasn't able to handle another second of the characters' stupidity. The actors did an OK job with what was given to them. It's the story and the characters that were poorly written. There are a gazillion movies where dumb idiots go backpacking in the middle of nowhere, but many of them are bearable. However the characters here are unrealistically stupid, which is what makes the movie utterly unbelievable and annoying.
here are a few unrealistic moments:
- the chicks went AWOL in backwoods Argentina without telling anyone
- got drunk in the local pub provoking every horny kidnapper there
- got separated in backwoods Argentina because of a chick fight
- when the blond tried to rescue the brunette, they had 10 chances to neutralize the Argentinian idiot and didn't (and yes he is also an idiot in the movie, I'm not just throwing names around)
- when the American guy was pointing the gun at the two amigos, he just decided to turn his back on them, only to get a bullet in the back. At least he was looking somewhat smart, up until that moment...
And to top that, we're supposed to believe that an entire town is conspiring to kidnap tourist girls (which is often the case in this kind of movies.) This aspect is not entirely ridiculous but it's a stretch.
I liked the beginning of the movie with all the scenery, but unfortunately that remained its strongest point.
The actors had nothing to do here. They were stuck with shallow roles with no room for real acting. This was a big step down for Karl Urban and the two females. This type of movies can work, as long as the story and script are believable enough, without having to reduce the characters to imbeciles, which is just frustrating.